Are you a student or graduate between 15-30 years of age with an interest in history who loves to unearth and share stories based on real-life and lived lives? We’re looking for you!
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Position Details: 8 weeks (35 hours/week) starting June 28, 2021
Number of Jobs: 2 positions available
Friends of Sable Island Society is a non-profit volunteer-based organization dedicated to the preservation of Sable Island. We promote awareness and education through our website, annual scholarship and public events such as the bi-annual “Sable Island Conference”. We collect stories – historical, artistic and scientific – to help others experience the mystique of Sable Island from wherever they live.
The Archives Transcriber and Story-Teller will prepare and proof transcripts of letters and journals kept at the Nova Scotia Archives in both microfilm and their original format. They will also extract and research stories from these materials that can be used as teaching aids in classrooms and shared through various media. The primary audience for these stories will be children and youth, but they are expected to also appeal to anyone with an interest in this fabled place. The Archives Transcriber and Story-Teller will create these shareable stories throughout the summer and post them on social media as appropriate.
The Archives Transcriber and Story-Teller will work independently and be supervised by a volunteer board member of Friends of Sable Island. Note that the Nova Scotia Archives is a provincially run institution that is fully accessible to persons with disabilities.
- Genuine interest in history
- Self-starter who is comfortable taking steps to remove obstacles before seeking assistance
- Ability to work independently
- Well organized and comfortable setting daily and weekly work goals
- Proficiency with the English language (reading and writing)
- Ability to read/interpret cursive writing
- Provide own access to a computer and internet for recording transcription in digital format and for sharing stories on our website and social media sites like Facebook and Twitter
- Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) on the work start date
- Student in or graduate of a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations
- Not immediate family of a member of the Board of Directors for Friends of Sable Island
- Currently studying or graduate of history and archeology and/or museum studies, or journalism
- Investigative thinker – one who loves digging into the back stories about history
- Enjoy writing stories to share with others
- Knowledge of social media
Please email a resume and cover letter (preferably merged into one file) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm on Saturday June 5, 2021. Please quote “Summer Position” in the subject and body of all communications.
Candidates selected for interviews will be asked to bring contact information for at least two references to their interview. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted (no later than Friday June 18, 2021).