Are you a student or graduate between 15-30 years of age with an interest in helping elementary school children learn more about Sable Island? We’re looking for you!
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Position Details: 8 weeks (35 hours/week) starting July 4, 2022
Number of Jobs: 1 position available
Friends of Sable Island Society is a non-profit volunteer-based organization dedicated to the preservation of Sable Island. We promote awareness and education through our website, annual scholarship, and public events such as the bi-annual “Sable Island Conference”. We believe that the island has an amazing capacity to teach people about our world and we seek ways to provide a variety of learning opportunities.
The Elementary School Lesson Planner will create educational materials that will ensure that the next generation learns to care about Sable Island in their classrooms. The Lesson Planner will use a multi-year story roadmap we have developed based on the current Nova Scotia curriculum and outcomes. They will produce a set of related and downloadable lesson plans to teach school children about the historical, environmental and scientific significance of Sable Island. These plans will form teaching units responding to outcomes for grades Primary to Grade 3. The Lesson Planner will be encouraged to use their creativity to make their work appealing to young learners.
The Elementary School Lesson Planner will work independently and be supervised by a volunteer board member of Friends of Sable Island. The work can be done remotely and mostly independently using regular check-ins with the supervisor.
- Creative thinker
- Self-starter who is comfortable taking steps to remove obstacles before seeking assistance
- Ability to work independently
- Well organized and comfortable setting daily and weekly work goals
- Proficiency with the English language (reading and writing)
- Provide own access to a computer and internet for accessing a shared on-line workspace
- Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) on the work start date
- Student in or graduate of a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations
- Not immediate family of a member of the Board of Directors for Friends of Sable Island
- Currently studying or graduate of an education program
- Experience teaching elementary school-aged children in a classroom setting
We are committed to the principles of diversity and employment equity and seek to reflect the diverse nature of Canadian society in our hiring process. We encourage women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of a visible minority group to self-identify when you apply.
Please email a resume and cover letter (preferably merged into one file) to email@example.com by 11:59pm on Sunday June 12, 2022. Please quote “Summer Position – Lesson Plans” in the subject and body of all communications.
Candidates selected for interviews will be asked to provide contact information for at least two references at their interview. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted (no later than Friday June 24, 2022).